Wi-Fi Validation! 21 Things!
I have pen down 21 things that came to me when it comes to verifying the existing wireless validation, let’s go through them one by one.
- Existing Wireless – Confirm issues and problem areas. Nature of problem, impacting the type of devices, users etc? This can be done over email or call not necessary to be onsite.
- Post new implementation validation – Determine user requirements and work towards the design.
- When onsite for existing wireless issues, check the AP positions, Antenna pointing correctly etc.
- Check for any hidden AP/under the ceiling etc?
- Validate the type of ceiling/mezzanine floor.
- Check for the wall types, determine db loss.
- Validate business critical areas
- Validate areas of high/low density, areas of high interference.
- Validate Telco/Comms rooms, make sure 100mts cable length from comms room/patch panel.
- Validation application requirements.
- Validate on-call, move around with campus with active call.
- Validate video streaming, non-buffer application if possible.
- RSSI values impacts depending on the type of device/handset/application.
- Always ask the client/customer for existing device configuration.
- Check Tx/RRM used. What is set to static/what is left to the controller?
- If static, adjust Tx values if required. Less Tx Less coverage, less interference, but High Tx, work with more coverage and more room for interference.
- Check version of controller/software upgrade if required.
- Use wireless configuration tool > free from Cisco https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/wlc-config-analyzer/ta-p/3119057
- Perform spectrum analyzer scan and analysis
- Exit survey/post implementation.
- Test | Test | Test the wireless before handover.