I have conducted my first ekahau site survey for my home and it has helped me learn a few basic things about accomplishing the site survey.
- Need the site plan (evacuation map or a dwg file of the site is recommended.
- Calculate the dimensions of the building or the facility, can use google maps for reference if details are not provided.
- I did not put any known AP on the map as ekahau automatically does this for you. I did not use the sidekick for home survey but would recommend it for real production site surveys.
- This survey is not continuous but stop and go
- My home has 2 radio transmitters kinda APs but not industry standards, 1 radio is located in garage and another in bedroom opposite the main bathroom. Garage AP broadcasts 5GHz only and 2.4 GHz Bedroom AP only
- Latitude 12 Rugged
- Ekahau version 9.0
Area of my home – Approx (153 m²)
|Coverage Requirement: Voice + Data||Signal Strength Min -80.0 dBm Signal-to-noise Ratio Min 20.0 dB Data rate Min 20 Mbps Number of Access Points Min 2 at min. -75.0 dBm Channel Overlap Max 2 at min. -85.0 dBm Round Trip Time (RTT) Max 200ms Packet Loss Max 2.0 %|
Signal strength for 2.4 GHz
Signal coverage for 5GHz
There were no channel overlaps for obvious reasons.
Measured Access Points
|AP #||Access Point|
|802.11n||6@40||f4:f2:6d:**:**:16||The password is ******|
Final outcome : I will have to buy a stronger AP with 2.4/5GHz radios and place it in the bedroom as the TP-Link.